Jan's Blog

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Thankfulness

I have so much to thank the Lord for today. First, I am recovering well. I think being run over by a truck might be comparable to how I felt at first, but now the pain is totally manageable with Tylenol. Second, the correct surgery was performed! I was quite confident that nothing would run amuck in the OR due to your prayers and the note Ena helped me sneak onto my chest right before they took me into the operating room. It included everything that was to be done with emphasis on which side it was to be done and cautioned them to be careful with my throwing arm. I also let them know that many people were praying for them and then as a PS asked them to wake me when it was over! :-) The doctors and nurses got a big kick out of it. They taped the note up in the operating room.

I came out of the anesthesia fast and was wide awake within a few minutes. The nurses kept commenting on how surprised they were at how quickly I was alert. I told them I had places to go and people to see.

After 3 hours in the post-op of the Cancer Center I was taken to “Slot 22” where I spent the rest of my stay. The hospital was packed, so I wasn’t able to get a room. Slot 22 is actually the post-op area at U of M’s main hospital. It’s huge and was full of people right out of surgery. We were a sorry looking bunch.

Because Slot 22 wasn't a room Brent, my parents, sister Dawn H., and friend Mary D., could only come in one at a time to visit. The good news about this adventure is that the nurses gave me my own portable dvd player with a list of movies to choose from. The miracle of modern pain medicine, (but mostly the annoyance of the snoring woman next to me), allowed me to comfortably watch 5 movies before dawn broke. (She kept complaining of pain, but for someone in pain she sure could saw some logs.)

They also gave me a nice U of M tote bag with a bathrobe, slippers, bath towel, washcloth, water bottle, and a bag of toiletries, just for all the inconvenience. Go Blue! All in all, Slot 22 turned out just fine. It also allowed me to meet a young woman who had surgery right after me. She has breast cancer and will undergo chemo as well. I’m sure our paths will cross again at the Cancer Center. Please remember Bethany in your prayers.

I’m still laying low and not doing much of anything which is driving me nuts, but even minor activities wear me out. My new hobby, Sudoku, helps to pass the time and now and then I shuffle out to the back yard to sit. But then I long for my “spot” on the bed which consists of 7 pillows propping up my back, arms and legs, my Sudoku book, the tv remote, snacks, drinks, drugs, 2 seasons of the Mary Tyler Moore show, and one season of Frasier.

Everyday shows improvement. I am amazed that each day there is some other task that I can do by myself (like getting dressed, combing my hair, pumping the soap out of the soap dispenser with one hand, picking up my coffee mug – that was a biggie!) which I attribute to the healing power of Christ.

Again I thank you all for your prayers and support. Thank you to my parents who have persevered and been by my side through 3 surgeries in the last 2 months. Thank you to Brent who is trapped in the house with the kids and all that goes with that! Thank you to all who are bringing meals; to great neighbors who invite my kids over to swim and play; to Kathy for taking Jodie horse-back riding; to Lissa and Micki for all the beautiful pink and purple ribbons adorning my front yard; to all who have sent cards and brought surprizes – they mean so much; to my manager and friend Lena :-); to my friend Suzanne who came all the way from North Carolina to have coffee with me; to Julie who has already been through this journey and is a great source of encouragement; to Mary for spending an entire day at the hospital; to my CORE 100 students who keep emailing; and for all the beautiful flowers and plants. I am so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends. And most of all I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ whose power works best in my weakness. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Love and Blessings,

Janice

2 Comments:

  • At Mon Jul 03, 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Janice,
    What an uplifting blog entry you have from July 2! Had not thought of having a "Club Med" experiecne after surgery, but milk it for all its worth, girlfriend. On the suggestion card, why not offer the idea of free manicures and pedicures while you wantch the DVDs? :) Have ablessed and complete recovery! Miss Carla:)

     
  • At Tue Jul 04, 06:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Janice,

    While we are up north on vacation, we are praying for you and we keep wondering how you are doing... so it was great to read your update. It is so awesome to hear how the Lord is carrying you through this! We love to hear your positive attitude ringing with your great faith in Him. We will pray for your continued recovery and comfort (ASAP), and for the best results possible on your path. report. We will also pray for Bethany.

    Love ya! ~Julie

    PS I can totally relate to the 7 pillows. It will get better... I'm down to 3 now. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home