Jan's Blog

Friday, August 18, 2006

2 Down, 2 to Go

Chemo #2 is over! Praise the Lord! Mary D. went with me to my chemo appointment yesterday. What a blessing it was to have her there. We left at 8:30am and returned home at 4:30pm. What a day.

First I get blood drawn to see if I'm good to go. Then I see the oncologist's PA for a check up and discuss how things went over the past 2 weeks. Her name is Kathleen. She plays hockey and has kind of a husky voice, but she is kind and compassionate and believes in telling it like it is, which I appreciate.

I think I said before, one of the scariest parts to me is the first chemo drug. They do it in a slow push through the IV because it's so toxic and hard on the veins. If the needle isn't in the vein well and the drug leaks out, it will burn my skin from underneath. The first nurse had some difficulty getting the vein and had to start over which made me all the more nervous. Mary was fervantly praying through the whole thing and God answered. The second nurse came in wearing a special gown and gloves to protect herself from exposure to the drug. As she came in I said, "It's so comforting see you come in here in your space suit so you can inject me with that toxic liquid." She laughed and assured me that she would take great care to make sure everything would go smoothly. Mary and I both prayed through that 15 minute ordeal. I used the deep and spiritual prayer that Jerry Jacoby has so eloquently spoken about. I think I remembered it just the way he teaches it...it goes something like, "Help". I'm sure Mary had me covered because she is a powerful prayer warrior, but God hears all prayers and He answered us both. The next drug is an hour long slow drip and less scarey to me, so Mary and I could just talk and laugh.

Last night was a bit rough with nausea until about 2:00am, but it did subside and today is better. The fog has yet to set in, but I expect to greet it's arrival in the next day or so. That too shall pass within a week.

My hair is falling out in great measure. When I combed it today it filled the comb. I had a good cry and then took a deep breath and decided to move on. Tomorrow my good friend Lena has graciously agreed to shave my head. Should be a memorable moment and one I am really looking forward too. (You all know I'm being sarcastic, right?) We'll take pictures and maybe I'll even put some on the blog, if I can figure out how to do it. I'll probably have to call my good buddy and neighbor, Jason...he knows everything about computers.

I cannot miss the opportunity to express the amazing peace of God. The verse that came to mind at 5:00am on chemo day was, "You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord [italics mine] is the rock eternal." Isaiah 26:3-4 I like how Isaiah says with emphasis, "for the Lord, the Lord is the rock eternal." I can just hear him say "the Lord" loudly that last time to make sure he's getting his point across. Maybe he even pounds the table as he writes or raises his fist in the air. He really wants to make sure we understand who our eternal rock is. I like that and I believe it.

With Joy and Victory,

Janice

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Aug 19, 08:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAAAAPPY BIIIRTHDAY DEEAR JAAANICE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOO YOUUUU!!!! :) I love the song we sing in church "Let everything that has breath Praise the Lord". Even in the cruddiest of times, there is always something to Praise the Lord for...I praise Him for the amazing strength He's giving you and that you're 1/2 way thru AND it's your BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the makeover party! I always thought it would be fun to give someone a new hairdo! :)

     
  • At Sat Aug 19, 04:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was singing harmony with Lena on Happy Birthday. It sounded pretty good if I don't say so myself. Janice I am sure that it is safe to say that a HOST of friends were praying for you as you faced chemo yesterday. We love you very much. I am thankful for you. Linda

     
  • At Sat Aug 19, 11:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was sure great talking and sharing with you today my dear Friend Janice!! I am so grateful for the team
    of wonderful friends you have around you chauffeuring and providing delicious cuisine. I know that it isn't supposed to be about me but I sure wish
    I could be doing some of those helpful happenings!
    Ya know I'm a thinkin' and a prayin' fer ya down here with ma kin! And you're my first "blog"! How do you like that! Pretty dog-gone special if ya ask me!
    Love you Girl!!

     
  • At Sun Aug 20, 06:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Janice, thanks for updating all of us on your experience with your 2nd chemo treatment on Thursday. I prayed for you many times that day.

    I didn't realize it was your birthday yesterday. Happy Birthday!I hope you felt very loved and cared for on your birthday by your family and your many special friends. My birthday this past May was a tough one for me emotionally as I was in the midst of dealing with cancer and anticipating my mastectomy surgery just a few weeks later. But even though it was tough, I still felt deep down joy and comfort knowing that I was so blessed to be greatly loved and cared for by my Savior, family, church community and friends. I hope that you found that in itself to be a special blessing to you on your birthday. Please know that there are sooooo many who love you and are praying you through this difficult time.
    Love, ~Julie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home